Monday, January 4, 2016

A New Year, A Time of Reflection




Happy 2016!!!

Every year when the calendar changes to a new year it feels like a natural time to reflect on the year that has passed and get ready for the fresh start a new chapter if you will. As I look back on my 2015, there is no doubt it was been a rough year, and it would be easy for me to lament about all the things that didn’t go according to plan or the heartbreak of the last year. Goals were set at the beginning of the year, some of them attained, some of them I came up short on. A friendship that was very important to me ended. . .badly. I mean for heaven sake I had a house fire in the spring. That’s enough to make anyone a little crazy.

Like I said it would be easy, and trust there have been days, to sit back and discount 2015 as a crappy year that I can’t wait to be done with and hope that 2016 is better. But if I take time to pause and really think about things, there have been some WONDERFUL things about 2015 as well. I’ve met lots of new people and started new friendships, some of them in real life and some of them via the internet. These new additions to my life have certainly made my life better and I have enjoyed getting to know each and every one of them. Business has been solid this year and continuing to grow. And I’ve spent a lot of time changing and growing and healing wounds from the past, not always a fun process but definitely a positive.
We all have highs and lows
 As I looked at both sides of the coin that is 2015, I came to a realization. Had the crappy things not happened this year many of the good things wouldn’t have happened either. Had the fire not happened I would have still had a beautiful new bathroom but the insurance money allowed me to do some additional updates to the house that I had been wanting to do for years. Struggling with the disappointment of not being able to compete in half marathon lead to weekend of intense anxiety which in turn lead to me finding a community of people online that have been a wonderful addition to my life. That weekend also lead to me finding one of the best books ever about anxiety that has helped me AND tons of my clients. I could definitely go on but you get the idea.

Almost everything in life has a good and a bad side too it. Sometimes it’s hard to see and we don’t always see it right away. But most of the time something good comes out of the struggle. Now please hear me out, I’m not saying that when life smacks you in the face you should be happy it happened and start looking for the silver lining. It’s okay to struggle and suffer and cry and scream and throw a fit like a 2 year old, sometimes life sucks and it’s okay to feel it. But once you get through the hard days and the hard parts and have come out the other side look for those positives;

What did you learn about yourself?
How have you changed for the better?
What opportunities came from this experience?
What would have never happened had it not been for this?

I hope that regardless of how your 2015 went you are able to look back and see that you are a stronger better version of yourself then at the start of 2015. And I hope that your 2016 is everything that you hope and dream it will be.
 We are 4 days into the New Year, and I’ve started that process again, making goals and setting hopes and dreams for 2016. I don’t know what this year will bring or what will happen. I’m sure there will be more ups and downs just like every year. But what I can say for sure is this. Despite lows of 2015, now that I’ve come out the other side, I wouldn’t change a thing. Without the lows I would have missed some REALLY good highs and at the end of the day I wouldn’t trade the highs for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment