Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pikes Peak

I had the distinct pleasure to viewing the world from atop Pikes Peak this week. I must say it was one of the most magnificent things I have ever seen. They say on a clear day you can see all the way to Kansas from the top. However they could be lying because really it's not like you can distinguish one things from another up there, it all looks like a very small ant farm, so small you can't even see the ants just the buildings, and barely that. Anyway I digress.

I knew that I wanted to see Pikes Peak while I was here but I also know that I have a paralyzing fear of heights so I was curious as to how this adventure would go. I also knew that we were on a little bit of a time schedule because we had to be off the summit by 4 and off the mountain completely by 5, we didn't get to the front gate until 3.

So first things first, we pull up to the gate and pay our 12 dollars a piece, a little ridiculous in my book but whatever, they tell us when we have to leave the summit and when we have to be down completely. Then they tell us that the temperature on the top is -2. WHAT!!!!!!. I mean I knew it would be colder but that is like the dead of winter in Iowa, yikes. But it's okay we can manage we have coats and sweatshirts and what not. So we get our receipt and head up the mountain.

The first little bit is going great I can tell we are getting higher but so far nothing to bad just trying to keep my eyes away from the edge of the road. About the time we reached the point where we were above the tree line (meaning nothing grows up there), the road got narrower, and the drop off steeper, I can feel the color leaving my face. I interrupt Juanita and tell her if she doesn't start talking about something very entertaining I am going to loose my lunch.

So we quickly change topics I close my eyes and hang on to the "oh shit" handle for the remainder of the ride. We reach the top and Juanita tells me I can open my eyes, after asking her twice if she was sure I peeked one eye open and saw the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. There are really no words to describe what that looks like. I took quite a few pictures and I am not sure any of those will do justice either but we are going to find out.

Now -2 not matter how beautiful hits you like a ton of bricks and the wind up there was ridiculous. And there is almost no oxygen in the air, which can be a little problematic but all of those things are so totally worth it.

So the moral of the story is this kids. Sometimes it is more than worth it to push through paralyzing fear, you just never know what beauty may be on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment