Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Judges

When I started this blog I promised myself I would use this forum only for fun and silly stories. But lately I have seen some ads with the impending election that I just can not bring myself to ignore any longer.

I am sure by now, whether on the radio or on the tv, all of you have seen one of the ads that is encouraging to vote to have three of the current Iowa Supreme Court Judges removed due mostly because of their ruling regarding granting Marriage licenses to Same Sex couples. Now before you read any further the point of this post is not to argue whether same sex marriage is wrong or right nor is it to tell you all how to vote come November 2nd. It is simply to beg all of you to make sure you have the facts before making a decision.

The group funding these ads not only wants to have these judges voted out but they also want to change how Supreme Court judges are appointed. Right now when their is a vacancy on the Supreme court a bi partisan committee choose a number of suitable candidates and then the governor chooses the one he wants to appoint. The changes being proposed would create a situation where the choices for Supreme Court would become more politicised which will not benefit any of us. The job the Judges is not to create law or run their own agenda but to uphold the law as it is currently written.

Which brings me to my final point. The ruling that came down over a year ago was NOT to legalize same sex marriage it was that it is unconstitutional to deny same sex couples a marriage license. The ruling did NOT pertain to making a decision for all Iowans regarding same sex marriage it was about upholding equal protection under the law, which I think is something we would all agree is worth protecting. Basically it makes it so that the majority CAN NOT discriminate against the minority. Any minority on an issue.

As I said before, the point of this post is not to tell anyone how to vote or to argue the rightness or wrongness of same sex marriage. I simply ask that you know the facts and understand what is really going on before making your decision on November 2nd. And really that goes for all issues and choices made on the 2nd. I think we can all agree that all political ads on both sides of the isle twist facts and take things out of context rather than focusing on telling us what they are going to do for us.

Thank you for indulging me in one serious politically charged post. I promise I will keep them to a minimum.

1 comment:

  1. I thought allowing same sex marriage was the same as stabbing Baby Jesus in the face? I vote the way Christine O'Donnell votes.

    ReplyDelete