Sunday, April 18, 2010

The gene pool from whence we came.

Parents are a funny. Specifically dads. I have a particularly funny dad, his name is Chuck, but he has been dubbed Chuckles the Happy Clown by my sister, sometimes it's fitting sometimes it's just disturbing. I really love my dad, I think most of you (and by that I mean all three of you) know that I talk to my dad everyday, but there are times with my dad that I just shake my head and think to myself I can't believe half of my genes came from him.

So Chuckles came to town today for a visit, we had a family friend in town and we all got together for lunch. As soon as he got to the door it begins, he can't sit still when he visits so he starts pacing around the living room while I am sitting on the couch reading the paper. Then he says let's go outside so we do. Then he starts wandering around the house and the list starts. You need to fertilize the yard, you need to get this vent fixed, you need to prune this tree, you need to ________. All of which costs money. And I know he's trying to helpful, which I appreciate but can't we just sit and visit, I don't do this at your house.

Then we get the call that our friend is going to be later than we thought so we go back inside. Dad starts going through the boxes of crackers and bags of chips on top of the micorwave. The following conversation ensues:

Me: Dad, what are you doing?
Dad: Looking for something to munch on I'm hungry, and none of these are open
Me: Just pick something and open it, it's not that big of a deal.
Dad: No then it will go stale and I will have wasted your food.

At this point I am thinking, hi have we met, food does not go stale in this house. Eventually he found an open bag of potato chips that seemed good enough, and of course met the criteria of being opened.

Ladies and gentleman I have a conversation like this at least once a week if not three or four times a week and end up shaking my head thinking "Wooooow".

Now for as funny/weird as my dad can been I feel as though I should end this post on a nicer note about him. For years my sister and I have gotten flowers from him on Valentine's day and a chocolate bunny for Easter. This year it did not happen, which was a little sad but nothing that was such a big deal I felt the need to say anything to him. My sister on the other hand felt differently and was giving him grief over Easter about it. So today when he showed up he came in the house with one dozen red roses and three chocolate bunnies for each of us, and true to form announces "You know this stuff is a lot cheaper if you wait till after the holiday to buy it." See he really is a sweet guy.

Love you Dad.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Andrea. I love your dad stories. What's really funny to me is the food thing, because my dad wouldn't think twice about opening something that hadn't been opened yet. He even opened a bag of chocolate chips once and started munching. Dads are fabulous. And the last paragraph made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete