Monday, October 26, 2015

Life's like a Tree, Sometimes Ya Gotta Prune It.


The idea of pruning has been on my mind a great deal in the past few weeks. Merriam Webster defines pruning (verb) as "to reduce especially by eliminating superfluous matter or to cut off or cut back parts of for better shape or more fruitful growth." Every spring and fall I spend a couple of weekends pruning the landscaping at my house. Partly because I want it too look nice and neat but also because the trees and hedge will grow better if all the dead and dying parts are removed. You can help shape how a tree or plant will grow through pruning, cutting low branches will keep things growing up for example. It’s funny to think that removing parts of living thing in such a traumatic way as cutting them off could actually help something become more fruitful in the future. But it’s true, every time I prune back the hedges they seem to grow taller and faster.


Don’t worry, I’m not going to spend this whole post talking about my landscaping adventures. Although there have been some dozies, but that is a different post. I bring up my adventures in landscaping because much like my hedges, we often find that we have to prune parts of our lives back or out so that we can become more fruitful and grow in the ways that we need and want to. Pruning in our lives can mean many different things, sometimes its cutting back on behavior that is holding us back. Maybe it means letting go of an activity to make room for something else that brings more joy or purpose to your life. And still other times it means that the relationships in our lives need to change or end. However, one thing is for certain, it is hard and it can be painful to prune the places in our lives that need to be pruned.

The last 6 months, for me, have been filled with pruning. Some of you may know a little of what has been going on from my previous post about letting go. If you haven’t seen it you can check that out here. But the quick rundown is that in May I had a minor house fire in the midst of a remodeling project and then in July, through circumstances out of my control, I decided to give up the goal of completing my first half marathon. Both of those events were the catalyst for some very deep reflection and ultimately pruning in my life.

Some of that pruning has come in the form of me needing to change my behaviors and choices, mainly in terms of MAKING time to take care of myself. I love my job, but it should come as no surprise that my job can be very stressful. When I was in grad school the continually beat us over the head with idea that we needed to take care of yourself, and we were all like yeah yeah we know, and we came up with these great ideas and plans (it really was good to start thinking about it then). But ya know what happened. Life happened, I forgot to calculate that I still had a life outside of my profession which includes friends, animals, house work, and caring for myself as an adult (you know eating, showering, laundry etc). All of the sudden all the time I planned or self-care got sucked up with other things.
The events of this summer FORCED me to re-evaluate how I was spending my time in the evenings. Ultimately I had to convince myself that it was okay if the dishes didn’t get done EVERY night so that I could have time to journal or color or whatever other rejuvenating things I wanted to do. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist (ssshh don’t tell anyone) so letting go of getting things done to sit and color was a challenge, but I felt SO MUCH better when I would, that ultimately that wasn’t a HUGELY painful transition or pruning in the end but it was/is still challenging a times.
My "self-care" corner of the couch :)
This summer has also caused a re-evaluation of the relationships in my life. You can learn a great deal about a person and the nature of your relationship when you are going through a crisis or a particularly challenging time. I have a fantastic support system and wonderful friends that were there for me. However there have been a couple of people in my life that have made things more difficult or have done or said hurtful things through this whole course of events. At the time I was hoping that they were just crappy in a crisis, because let’s be honest some people don’t handle crisis well and that’s okay.

However after several conversations it became apparent that there was more amiss in our relationship than just a poor response to a crappy situation. The crappy situation had just highlighted the trouble that was already there. So now I am faced with what I find to be the most challenging and painful part of pruning and that is consciously and deliberately putting space and new boundaries in place in these relationships. That’s the painful part.

I’ve been in this place before, and while everyone is different and you never know how someone is going to react I know that once the pruning is done I will be free to grow and flourish. About 5 years ago I was in a similar place with another friend. I kept putting off talking to her because I didn’t want to lose the friendship, I thought we had been through too much to not get things worked out. And I knew that what I was going to tell her was going to hurt her. It was a difficult conversation, but once it was done I felt like a weight was lifted. I didn’t realize how much that relationship was weighing me down until I did some pruning and felt the change, the growth, start to take place. I still miss that friendship from time to time (we had been friends for close to 10 years and truly had been through a lot together) but I know that I would not be the person I am today had I continued to carry that dying branch.

So as we continue to move through Fall, and the leaves change and those of us with landscaping are working to prune the trees and bushes, I pose the question, are there areas of your life that need to be pruned? And if so, what do you think is holding you back from doing that pruning? Like I said, pruning can be painful and seem like an odd way to spur growth. But I will tell you this for sure, the last 6 months have been hard for me and there have been a lot of tears, and there will probably be some more before the pruning is done but I have also grown more as a person in the last 6 months than I have in the last 3 years. And I know, things are just going to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment